Monday, November 3, 2008

You won't believe what I've been holding back from you ...

Our last ultrasound was a week ago, and yet I haven't written in two weeks. I'm not sure why. I have some theories that I might propose later in this post or in another one altogether.

Back to the ultrasound ... our tech's name was (and still is, I'm sure) Phil. Great guy who really knows his stuff. First, we looked at our sweet baby. He's quite active.

Oops, did you catch that? Yep, I said "he." We now know that we are having a boy. When Phil told us, Brian and I both choked up and could barely talk. A boy. At 16 weeks, we were told that we are having a boy. Repeating that fills me with joy and strikes me with terror. Redemption and fear. (I think that's why I hadn't written yet.) More when I can write without tears.

Back to joy, we have also named our little boy, but first we told Meg that she was going to have another brother as soon as she arrived home from school. She wanted to name him Ryan, from High School Musical. Uh, no. When we told her that her brother's name is Zachary Finn Walker, she was ecstatic and claimed that she would call him Finn. Works for me since I have been doing the same. We told Jakey as well, but he's Jake and doesn't care yet.

Back to the ultrasound again ... after viewing the baby and the fibroid farm, Phil performed a vaginal ultrasound. Lovely, I know, but it's the best way to check on cervix length which was great. Then, we talked to our wonderful doc. My blood pressure has been great, and he's pleased with our progress. Lots to cheer about.

As I type this up, I'm watching one of my favorite I Love Lucy episodes, "Lucy Is Enceinte." She spends the episode trying to tell him, but he's too busy to listen. So, she goes to the club and anonymously asks Ricky to sing "We're having a baby, my baby and me" so that she can tell her husband that they're expecting. Ricky has just realized that he's going to be a dad. The very real and sweet emotions that play on the screen always make me cry. According to stories, Lucy's tears were real and unscripted. They even filmed the scene a second time but chose to stick to the original emotionally-charged take. The episode just finished, and I'm glad that I'm typing because talking would be impossible right now.

Our next ultrasound is Monday, November 10th, and this is the big and thorough 18-week one. We're going to take Meg out of school so that she can come watch. She's excited to see her baby brother.

Oh, my. Did I mention that I've been feeling Finn moving around in there? In fact, one evening when I went to bed, little Finn was moving around (this was before we knew Finn was a boy). I lowered my hand to see if I could feel him. I could! I called Meg into the room so that she could feel him. She did! Then, I sent her to find her Papa (Brian) so that he could share in the experience. I knew that if I stood up to get him that we would lose the opportunity. Brian felt Finn as well. Lovely!

No comments: