Saturday, January 3, 2009

Guess I'm just getting a sample of what's to come

Jakey came wandering into our room at 4 this morning. When this happens, my job is to wake Brian so that he can take Jakey back to bed (I'm not supposed to lift the boy, and he sleeps in a loft bed). Brian usually stays with him until until one or both of them fall asleep.

After Brian left our room, I could not fall back to sleep. My mind started racing about some important tasks that I need to complete and would not stop even after I tried my usual tricks.

At about 4:30, Brian came back to bed. At 5, Jakey came into our room again and climbed into bed with us. He dozed for a bit; his and Brian's snoring where in harmony. By 6, he was restless and going to wake his father so I took him to play on the computer, and I decided to log on and type this up.

In a few months, I will be seeing 4 am with our other son more often than I will like. I've been praying about that time to come because I have never done well without a full night's sleep. I needs me Z's. 

God has come through for me before in this area. A couple of years ago at Captivating in Colorado, I asked for him to help me with my sleep and energy, to wake me when I needed to be up so that I could shower and ready myself for the day slowly after being up until 2 am. He woke me gently. I never had to wait for a shower; there would be lines an hour later. I could wander the camp with my coffee before breakfast. I could stay up late and talk over the day with my sisters and even take a midnight swim under the stars. And, most importantly, I never felt tired until I arrived back home and collapsed.

That's what I'll need when Finn is here so that I can survive late night and early morning feedings and so that my family can survive me.

Yesterday, because my blood pressure was edging up again, I spoke with the doctors office, and they upped my meds again. Hopefully, I will adjust quickly to the new dosage since it does make me sleepy. The drug is actually used for insomniac patients as well. On the plus side, I won't have to break the pills in half any more or try to figure out the best time of day to take my second of three doses. Now, it's one pill twice a day. Easy.

Oh, and no more need to worry about my emotional state concerning UPS and Fedex. Yesterday they delivered the last of my packages. Whew.

One concerning thing, although I don't think it's anything to worry about, this morning after going to the bathroom, there was some bright red blood on the toilet paper. Later, it was icky brown. Probably just my fibroids acting up. I will take any prayers for Finn staying in as long as possible with my history so offer them up. :) If I see more later, I'll call the doctor.

Today is date day for the Walkers. Uncle Jeff, Brian's most wonderful brother, is coming to watch over the kids while Brian and I have a much needed date. I have no idea what we will do, but I hope that I'm not too tired to enjoy it.

Hmm, what else? I just finished reading two quirky books on my kindle: Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell and The Septic's Companion by Chris Rae. Vowell's book is about her journey to discover the details of the assassinations Lincoln, Garfield, and McKinley. Very fun and funky book. Rae's book is about the differences between American and British English, a little history and an irreverent dictionary. Totally fun for my grammar geek brain that already engages in geopolitics.

Oh, my! I almost forgot the big news. Today marks the 26th week of this pregnancy and my official entry into the third trimester. Woohoo! The next big milestone is week 28 when Finn will be considered viable but not quite done yet.

Monday is another big day. It will start with a quick breakfast, scooting the kids out the door to return to school (thank you, Jesus!), and then a four hour fast followed by a sugary drink and a blood draw to test for gestational diabetes. Then, lunch and an appointment with the perinatalogist. Busy day.

Now, it's after 6:30, and I'm still bright-eyed although not quite bushy-tailed, and it's time to sign off. Once again, please excuse my lack of editing. I'm too out of it to edit my own words.

No comments: