(I apologize for the wacky spacing. I could probably fix it if I edited the HTML, but I think I would rather go to bed.)
Eek! I promise a lot here in the blog, mainly to write more or about this or that topic, but ...
Ever have the need, the desire, to write, to let something out, and when you finally have a moment to spare, nothing comes out. Oh, there are ideas swirling around. Describe latest family happenings, relay significant chats with friends or strangers, or delve deep into my heart. But, when I start to type, nothing solidifies in my mind.
(after a long pause)
Now, I remember what I wanted to write about. Long, lost friends. There has been a theme this summer, and I'm wondering where God is leading me. I'm always up for a good mystery and more accepting of having one in my life so I am waiting expectantly to see where this is leading.
I've never been good at long-distance friendships; my cousin Julie can attest to that. I don't write letters and seldom make calls. I used to be pretty good at near-by friendships. I would arrange activities, parties, get-togethers, trips, adventures. But then, like many new moms, my life imploded a little. After Meg was born, I worked full-time and tried to figure out how to be a mom (still working on that one). Then, I was 20 weeks pregnant with Jakey, and our lives completely imploded. The only friends that we spent time with sought us out, or more likely, were part of our work or church lives. If we went somewhere as a family, it was never to someone's house, and we stopped asking people over to ours. Life with Jakey was complicated, and we gave in to the convenience of keeping to our little family.
Because we are who we are, Brian and I still made friends along the way, and they are very dear to us. With our friends, though, we lead separate lives. I have mine, and he has his. It's odd but easier. When we have a babysitter, we want to spend the time alone, just the two of us. Before kids, we shared our lives with friends; now, we we share our lives together and separately with friends. There are a couple of exceptions, and we've met each other's friends, but hang together? Nope.
Since joining Facebook, I have connected with many friends that I haven't seen or spoken with in over a decade or more. Facebook is an amazing forum for these cyber reunions, and I wish I would take more advantage of the opportunity. I intend to still but haven't yet.
That's an awfully long set up. Long, lost friends. In the last month or so, I have spent some amazing time with friends I haven't seen in ages. Where to start?
First, the quickie. Brian and I were out on a date, and as we are walking along the Kirkland waterfront, we hear my name called out. A co-worker and good friend from the 90's is sitting at an outdoor restaurant with his wife, who is also a friend, and their daughter. We hadn't seen them since before Jake was born. Circumstance hit this friendship hard. After Jakey was born, we had to guard his health. No one was allowed near him, or us, if they were sick. We just couldn't take that chance. His health was too fragile. At that time, our friends were going through a series of colds and flu. And, there they were. Right in front of us. Only a fence kept me from hugging them. We spent only a few minutes talking, but it was nice.
Then, a friend from church that I hadn't seen in 2 years invited Finn and me to coffee with her and her daughter. I hadn't met her daughter, and she hadn't met Finn. We had such a nice time catching up.
Shortly after friending (on Facebook) my RA and eventual housemate from college, she asked if I would be available to meet up with her and her husband when they came to visit Seattle. This woman has always meant the world to me. She impacted greatly the life of a sheltered freshman at Berkeley. I was always amazed that she was my friend, and that I was hers, but that's another story.
While they were in Seattle, we decided to meet up for breakfast. I wish Brian could have joined us, but he stayed home to work and watch the kids. Breakfast turned into three delightful hours at the 14 Carrot Cafe. We hadn't seen each other in over 17 years, but that didn't matter. Fortunately, they visit Seattle regularly, and now I am on their list of people to see. :)
Next, Mom told me that my cousin and his wife would be stopping over in Seattle on their way to Canada, and they were wondering if I was available to get together. Another trek to the city, and I had a delightful time with my cousin and his wife whom I hadn't met before that day. So fun. We hadn't seen each other since Brian and I took Meg to Chicago 10 years ago.
On that same day, I met with our old pastor, the one who baptized Meg and Jake. We have always loved this man. He spoke into our lives as pastor and friend. The last time that I had seen him was at his 50th birthday party three years ago. I hope to have more to say about that chat another time.
But wait, there's more. In July, we took a trip to Pacific City, Oregon. For the first time, we decided to rent a beach house instead of staying at the inn. Since we could house up to 10 people, we invited my parents and two friends who are local but we seldom see. Lovely. The guy friend was someone that we were both friends with. We even shared a house together years ago. The girl friend was someone I have known since 6th grade (we think). We met playing soccer. Now I see her every week because I convinced her to join the soccer team that I started playing on.
And, last but not least? Last weekend we joined some friends that we haven't seen in 8 or 9 years. We were asked to join them for a surprise birthday dinner and BBQ the next day. That one is a bit too complicated to explain here but very nice all the same.
See it? I do. Brian does. Now, I am excited to see where God is taking this. I also have to add that before this summer of revived friendships, I had a hard time getting together with friends. I'd want to see them but anxiety made it easier to stay home and keep the status quo. During this time, I've had no anxiety about seeing these dear people, none. Something is going on. Maybe it's only inside me. Maybe something is coming. Maybe it's simply a gift to my heart. Some day I'll know, but for now, I'm enjoying the ride.
What is this Puzzle Piece about anyway?
10 years ago


1 comment:
Wow, I utterly relate to how friendships have changed since kids and especially now we're the 'tricky' family - the invites just get less and less!!
Amazing to hear all those reunions and that you've been excited rather than anxious - what a blessing! Can't wait to hear more of where God is leading you. xxx
Post a Comment