Tuesday, September 1, 2009

And the cycle starts again

Up at 7:30 am (early for me and my not-so-little offspring), I awaken my little birds to an overcast morning so that they can head off to school. Over the years, I've learned to be gentle and sing-songy, opposite from my childhood memories, and coax Meg and Jake out of bed.

Meg grunted that I needn't continue to wake her while Jake hid his head under his blanket and pillow. While Meg prepared for the day, I mixed them each a cup of instant breakfast, chocolate for Meg and vanilla for Jake. Neither of them are big breakfast eaters, and I do what I can.

Finally, I had to literally drag Jake from his bed so that I could dress him in the living room after some cuddle time and kisses.

They looked so much older this year, my fourth grader and third grader. I wanted to capture the moment in a picture ... and that's when everything went wonky. First, Meg wouldn't stand by Jake, then she wouldn't smile or even try. Then, I lost my temper and lashed out. Brian stepped in while I took Jake outside for his bus.

There's more, but now I'm simply happy that they are at school and hopefully enjoying their first day back. I've been feeding Finn and working. Couldn't do that without the boppy and a laptop. After school, Meg and I will rush, and I mean RUSH, off to soccer practice.

Fall is here.

2 comments:

Tammie said...

I like the new layout of the blog.

I hope your day goes well and tomorrow you can do it all over just different outcome.

Ruth and Brian said...

Hey Deb
Love the new blog look too!

Awww, the return of school ~ a much welcome day for many of us moms. Though I for one am not that mom as my own don't start their homeschool classes until next Tuesday. This week is keeping me busy with orientation, parent meetings and conferences.

Blessings,
Ruth