The hardest part about today was trying to figure out why I was so upset about something that I already knew. Today, Brian and I (and Finn) went to the Autism Center at Children's Hospital for Jake's evaluation results. No surprise, he has been diagnosed with autistic disorder. It doesn't change who Jake is. The doctor told me two weeks ago that they were going to give him this diagnosis. His neurologist diagnosed him with autism last spring. And, yet, the only thing that I wanted to do was weep, bawl, cry, snot and all. My insides were writhing with sorrow; still are actually. I've thought of little else all afternoon and evening. Why?
At one point, I stood in the kitchen and stared out the window, didn't see anything. "Why?" echoing in my tired little mind. I've known. I've known for a long time. I saw nothing until I looked down at the golden lid on Finn's Enfamil powder.
"Because it's your baby."
Just writing it now, I choke on the sobs. Because he's my baby. We've mourned and rejoiced with and over Jake since that plastic stick declared that I was carrying him in my womb. We've mourned and rejoiced. We will continue to mourn and rejoice. Because he's my baby.
Tonight I asked God if that is how he responds to our pain and joy. Because we're his babies.
That would be a beautiful place to end tonight, but I need to add some garland, something that touched my heart. The doctor gave us a preliminary report to take home. Here is the second paragraph:
"Jacob has many notable strengths. Jacob is a happy, content child. He is loving, and enjoys cuddling or leaning on his dad. He tries to be funny (says "funny" and laughs). He tries to be independent in many things. He also has a caring and loving family who is committed to finding appropriate interventions for his needs."
How many people have such wonderful words written into their medical file? Jakey does. And, this isn't the only one.


2 comments:
In the eyes of our precious Lord and Savior, Jake is perfect ~ know that, embrace that! Remember how we all too often ask God to let us see what HE sees - now is no different.
I imagine it is completely normal to feel the way you do even in the midst of already knowing the answer. And yes, Jake may have autistic disorder, but it does not in any way define who he is!
Above all else, remember who is in charge - who is in control!!!
Huge hugs,
Ruth
Isaiah 46:4
The disorder does not define who he is remember that - Jakey is loved, cared for and enjoyed. There is so much more to him and to your family then the label/name that the disorder has been given.
I even hate that word disorder-
He is priceless in the eyes of so many and our lives would not be the same if he wasn't who he is.
Praying God is holding and rocking you cause you are his baby.
much love to you
Post a Comment