Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Two milestones

Last Friday, Finn had his appointment with the nutritionist. He is no longer being tracked on the preemie baby graph. He has moved to the typical baby graph. She also decided that he is ready for solids. Feeding him rice cereal is hilarious. With his excessive drooling, he ends up with more on him than I make. More of a learning experience than actual nutrition.

Tomorrow is a most important day. 10 years ago on March 16th at 8:28 p.m., Meghan Jessica entered the world at Overlake Hospital in Bellevue, Washington. She was 3.5 weeks early and weighed 5 lbs, 3oz. Born with attitude and hunger, we called her a suckerfish since she would eat or suck on a finger for hours. Meggy is enchanting and innocent, loving and troubled. She loves deeply and fears pain. She is the definition of someone who marches to their own drum, but still she wants to be accepted.

I remember the time that she decided she wanted to know more about Jesus. We had just turned onto Novelty Hill Road from Snoqualmie Valley. I explained everything to her. She wanted to pray, but not yet. Hours later at bedtime was her chosen time, and we did it together. Meg always does better no pressure and time to think.

She would rather play than talk, growl than cry, draw than copy. At times our home resembles Krakatoa erupting when we clash -- too often, I know. But, those other times ... Meg and I cuddle. She still calls me Mama or Mommy. We call her Baby; even her beloved Gima calls her baby. She doesn't flinch at the name but always responds. If someone adds an article, she will adamantly reply that she is not a baby. And, she's right; she isn't. But, she is my baby and always will be.

No comments: